DOCUdavit is proud to have worked with a multitude of professional brands to maximize efficiency since 2003. Our business case studies feature legal and medical businesses that benefitted from a secure, compliant document management system.
Case Study: Clark Farb Fiksel LLP – Barristers and Solicitors
For this case study, our client was Clark Farb Fiksel LLP. It is a highly professional law firm based out of Toronto, with a focus on litigation, real estate, family, and transactional law. Over 1100 boxes of active legal documents were being stored with Iron Mountain due to a lack of physical space within their offices. Throughout the progression of each case, certain documents would need to be retrieved from storage. Even though Iron Mountain has a rush delivery service, work would need to be delayed or the focus would need to shift until the necessary documentation arrived; and even when it did, only one person had access to the paper document at one time.
- Limited access to important off-site documentation
- Paper documents made it difficult to share files, or for multiple individuals to have access to them at once
- Time-consuming and costly task of retrieving files from Iron Mountain
- Increased operational costs
- Decreased productivity and focus on job-related tasks
After carefully analyzing the cost-benefit ratio of storing versus digitizing their legal documents, Clark Farb Fiksel LLP decided that digitization, document scanning, and use of a complete document management system would be the best solution to all of the aforementioned challenges. Approximately 1100 boxes or 2,200,000 pages of legal documents were removed from storage and put into a digital document management system by DOCUdavit Solutions.
- Any document could be instantly accessed and shared by all parties involved
- Increased productivity, focus, and time-management
- Eliminated delays during file-retrieval process
- Paperless office eliminated storage, printing and copying costs
Case Study: RB Morgan Construction
RB Morgan Construction is a Commercial General group of Contractors with a focus in the hospitality, retail and industrial trades sector. They work with new and existing commercial buildings to build, restore, renovate, expand, design, redesign and rebrand their interiors and exteriors. With the increase in volume of clients and the content within their files, it became apparent that access to this critical information was limited; particularly when it was needed onsite. A total of 24, 30-litre banker boxes, containing approximately 1,000 client files including construction plans and drawings, or 60,000 pages were being stored in their office, wherever space was available.
- Space-consuming storage and time-consuming manual task of searching and refiling
- Files pulled had a higher risk of being misplaced or lost
- Increased operational costs
- Decreased productivity, accessibility and process flow
By enforcing document scanning and indexing their client files, RB Morgan Construction would be able to reduce their storage constraints as well as have remote access to the construction plans and drawings while onsite. Operational costs were reduced and productivity increased through scan on demand and the digitization of RM Construction’s client files.
Case Study: Real Property Branch (RPB) of Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC)
RPB of PWGSC is the government of Canada’s real property experts who manage one of the largest and most diverse portfolios of real estate in the country. RPB was storing physical real estate documentation and large-scale drawings in cabinets in their office, with impaired productivity and access to their records.
- Time-consuming manual task of searching and refiling required documents
- Increased operational costs
- Decreased productivity, accessibility and focus on job-related tasks
- Increased risk of misplacing or losing information
- Low Security and data protection measures
- Space-consuming cabinets
RPB decided to move to a Workspace 2.0 environment, a cloud based file sharing and document management system. With document scanning, DOCUdavit Solutions digitized 483 large-scale drawings and 126,980 documents in order for it to be stored in an electronic document repository. The goal being to improve accessibility, security, and overall productivity within the department.
- By implementing the Workspace 2.0 environment, all goals were met and exceeded:
- Access to files became immediately available which decreased operational costs
- Decreased manual work
- Storage costs eliminated
- Retrieval time reduced
- Increased Productivity and time-management
- Authorization for, and restriction from, specific documentation could easily be granted and enforced
- Enhanced Security
- Enhanced Compliance
- Data Protection
- Productivity was also increased due to file sharing capabilities. PDF has become the standard for electronic file sharing and can be viewed on virtually any computing platform without the need to rely on paid software or applications.
Case Study: WASSER MCARTHUR LLP, Barristers
In this case study, we look at a client who contacted DOCUdavit to advise that she was preparing a first degree murder trial scheduled to begin in January 2006 at the courthouse in Newmarket.
Our client’s office and home were located in Toronto. In addition her junior lawyer on the trial also worked and lived in Toronto. Neither were thrilled with the prospect of transporting the disclosure back and forth as it comprised six bankers’ boxes of material.
Within a few weeks we shipped her boxes intact along with the our software. All her materials were scanned and accessible to both her desktop at the office as well as her laptop for her and her co-counsel on the trial. She began to review the material and set up categories of evidence based on issues or witness names. Instead of photocopying a witness’ statement or police officers notes 5-6 times to include them in other related witnesses’ files, she simply created an index with a single command. In seconds she had created a sub-file based on a issue containing all the disclosure of the related witnesses. This was a remarkable tool for saving hours of preparation time.
When she prepared examinations of witnesses, she used the search function to locate their names or issues within the body of all the evidence so that she can compare their evidence to others on the same issue. In moments she could find the evidence of all witnesses whose evidence is related to the same issue and email documents to lawyers representing the various witnesses in the trial. No need to recess court, while and search through six boxes in her office.
While the client used an office at the courthouse in Newmarket where the boxes and hard copies of all the material where kept, it was her laptop that she relied on – without the worry about which files she needed to transport. Until then, she had never gone through a trial without having to drive to the courthouse at night to pick up some disclosure she had forgotten to bring home.
In The Client’s Words
“I think DOCUdavit is an excellent service for criminal lawyers preparing for trials with large amounts of disclosure. I have requested LAO fund it for another murder trial for which I am currently preparing and reading through six boxes. Finally, I wish to add that you and your associates have provided immediate support assistance. I had a crisis over the Christmas holiday shortly before trial was set to begin. Your support technician somewhere worked me through it on the phone on a statutory holiday. I have been completely satisfied with your service and product. This is a wonderful service!”
– Cindy R. Wasser, Barrister WASSER MCARTHUR LLP, Barristers